Monday, July 11, 2011

Best Bread Recipe

I love the smell of fresh baked bread and more than ever I want to know exactly what ingredients are in my food. So lately I have returned to making my own bread.

Making bread is not difficult, but finding a good recipe can be. For years I have tried making bread with various recipes and ingredients and have finally found a winner. I think the original recipe was for Oatmeal Knots and it may have come from Cooking Light. It has been modified several times and I do tend to add what I have and change it a bit, but the basic recipe is below. I use a bread maker to prepare the dough ( so easy and tidy) and cook it in the oven!

1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup honey
2 T butter
1 1/2 t salt
2 cups boiling water
1 pkg yeast
1/3 cup warm water
2 T gluten
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups bread flour
1/4 cup flax seeds
1/4 cup ground flax seeds, sesame seeds, wheat germ, or
wheat bran (usually I just throw in what I want and adjust the flour)

In a bowl combine oatmeal, honey, butter, salt, and boiling water. Let cool. Combine yeast and warm water. Add all ingredients to bread maker. Use dough cycle and check after a few minutes for excess moisture or dryness and add flour or a little warm water as needed.

After bread has risen or completed dough cycle, transfer to floured board and shape into 2 loaves, let rise, then bake at 400 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment